Clear all

Hosting Question

9 Posts
4 Users
1 Likes
(@debsakal)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I'm not sure which forum to post this in, so I thought the General Forum seemed as good a place as any!  

So my question is I'm using GoDaddy for my managed WP hosting at present and whilst I love the customer service from them, a UK phone number that I can use 24/7, the actual hosting isn't that good, I mean at resent I can't even get into my own website as they've been having 503 errors since last Wednesday!  Really rubbish.  

Can I ask why you recommend SiteGround Theo?  After the first years discounts, they do seem to be quite expensive compared to other hosting companies.  I mean if I want to spend £15-£30 I might as well to to WP Engine who are the best and most reliable.  What are your thoughts, because if I do change now, I don't want to have to change again.  Many thanks.

Posted : August 31, 2021 6:20 pm
(@theo)
Member Admin

Hi Deb

Siteground, aside from being one of the best for performance and having great customer service, you can get that discounted price for the first 1 - 3 years and I believe this is important when starting out. 

WPE, while it is a good company, I wouldn't say it's the best, and at  $25 a month paid annually for the cheapest plan, it would mean forking out $300 upfront for the first year of hosting.  That's a lot for a person just starting out with a brand new website.

Posted : September 1, 2021 9:02 am
(@debsakal)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thanks @theo, I definitely agree, WPE is very expensive.  I will definitely look more seriously at Siteground then.  The good news is I can now get into my website at least, I'm hopefully launching the blog in the next week or so, so exciting times.  Siteground has a great sounding migration plugin too, I chatted with them yesterday.  Thank you again Theo. 🙂

Posted : September 1, 2021 1:45 pm
Kaari
(@kaari)

I currently have Siteground, but the lesson I am viewing is using Bluehost. Is it fine to stay on Siteground and not worry about the differences?

Posted : January 28, 2022 2:00 am
(@theo)
Member Admin

Yes, that's okay 🙂  There are some differences in the initial hosting setup process but if you get stuck with that, contact SG support for help.  

Posted : January 30, 2022 5:07 pm
(@saviour)

Hello Theo, I have had my site since 2020, I was away from it. I only renewed my domain name as not to lose it. Now I am ready and want to continue with my blogging, but I am having issues renewing my subscription with site ground.

Can you please tell me what to do? 

Thank you.

Posted : February 24, 2022 9:26 pm
(@theo)
Member Admin

@saviour 

I'm not sure if your original hosting account will still exist. It depends on how long ago it lapsed. If you contact SG, they will tell you if it's possible to reactivate the hosting. If not you'll need to start over, and if that is the case, I recommend that you follow the new hosting lessons in the course to save some money 🙂 

Posted : February 25, 2022 12:53 pm
(@saviour)

@theo Thank you very much. I thought of doing so.

But again, can I still continue with my old website name, since it is still active with Godaddy? 

Posted : February 25, 2022 9:03 pm
(@theo)
Member Admin

Yes, you can 😀 

Posted : February 28, 2022 8:57 pm
Share:

>