Preview on search engine not what it's supposed to be

10 Posts
3 Users
2 Likes
 Tina
(@tina)
Topic starter

Hi,

so one of my posts is now showing up on google - but the preview looks nothing like in Wordpress. I have followed the course and put the first sentence of my post in the meta description. On Wordpress in the google preview it all looks great, but when I see it in the actual google search results, instead of showing that sentence, here's what it says: 

08.07.2021 — HOW TO KEEP YOUR GERMAN HOUSE COOL DURING SUMMER. by Tina · Published April 24, 2021 · Updated July 7, 2021. featured image keep house cool.

What am I doing wrong here? 

Posted : July 25, 2021 2:01 pm
(@theo)
Member Admin

Posted by: @tina

HOW TO KEEP YOUR GERMAN HOUSE COOL DURING SUMMER

I take it that's the post title?

I'm assuming that you only added the meta description recently, and if it's not showing yet, it's because the post has not been indexed since you added it (the meta description). Give it time and it should show up.

Posted : July 26, 2021 12:13 pm
 Tina
(@tina)
Topic starter

Yes, that's the post title.

I see. Thank you. That's an easy fix then 🙂 

Posted : July 26, 2021 12:19 pm
ConnectingFragments
(@connectingfragments)

@tina If you use Google Search Console you can request reindexing to the post. It is usually done in 24-48 hours.

Posted : July 29, 2021 1:37 am
 Tina
(@tina)
Topic starter

@connectingfragments oh - thank you so much! That's good to know! I'll try doing that 🙂 

Posted : July 29, 2021 4:57 am
 Tina
(@tina)
Topic starter

So, I've tried reindexing it and double-checked my post several times - but it's still the same.

Is there anything else I can do? Or how long should I expect to wait for the actual preview to show? It's pretty high up on the second page of search results, so I feel like I could at least be getting SOME traffic through that, which I think is great after less than a month - but if it shows that weird preview, obviously no one will ever click on it.

How can I change it?

Posted : July 31, 2021 9:00 am
(@theo)
Member Admin

Give it a bit more time.

What theme are you using?  I'm asking because normally if you don't enter a meta description, the Google results will display a sentence or two from the beginning of the post. 

Posted : August 1, 2021 7:22 am
 Tina
(@tina)
Topic starter

I am using Hueman.

I did enter the meta description, though. Do you think I should delete that and just let google do its own thing instead?

Posted : August 1, 2021 7:27 am
(@theo)
Member Admin

Posted by: @tina

Do you think I should delete that and just let google do its own thing instead?

Maybe, but read this first.  

https://yoast.com/help/my-meta-descriptions-arent-showing-up-in-the-search-result-pages/

Posted : August 1, 2021 7:33 am
 Tina
(@tina)
Topic starter

okay, thank you! 

Posted : August 1, 2021 7:44 am
Share:

>